Starting a new food business is an exciting experience. However, there's some important legislation that you need to think about before you open your doors.

The first step to success is food safety

Every year in Australia, hundreds of businesses are fined or closed down for:
  • not following the correct food safety procedures
  • not adhering to food safety legislation
Being serious about food safety from the start will help:
  • protect your new food business from these problems
  • protect your customers from getting sick
Most businesses must demonstrate that their employees are trained to meet the requirements of Food Standard 3.2.2A before they can even apply for a food business licence.
The first step to success is food safety

What is a food business?

You may be surprised to discover that your new business is considered a food business by law. Examples of typical food businesses include:
  • Cafes, restaurants and takeaways
  • Hotels and motels
  • Bars, pubs and clubs
  • Event and conferences centres
  • Casinos and gaming venues
  • Market stalls
  • Convenience stores
  • Supermarkets
  • Service stations
  • Groceries, butchers, delis and bakeries
  • Food based charity organisations
  • Catering businesses
  • Hospitals or hospices
  • Child care or aged care facilities
  • School canteens or tuckshops
  • Food processing facilities
  • Canneries, milleries or breweries
  • Food delivery or storage services

How to get a food business licence

for-job-seekers-icon-Understand your classification

Understand your classification

Food business licences are issued depending on how your business is classed. Each state has their own classifications, usually based on food type risks and who your customers are.
for-job-seekers-icon-Complete mandatory training

Complete mandatory training

Under Food Standard 3.2.2A, all employees must have completed mandatory Food Safety Supervisor or Food Handler training to meet the requirements of licence application.
for-job-seekers-icon-Apply to your local council

Apply to your local council

Even though the laws around food business licensing are governed at a state and territory level, your licence application process is managed through your local council.
for-job-seekers-icon-Stay up to date

Stay up to date

Food Safety Supervisors must hold valid Statements of Attainment issued within the last 5 years. Food Handlers must ensure that their training meets all the latest legal requirements under Standard 3.2.2A.

Understand food safety laws

Before applying for your food business licence, you need to be sure that you understand your legal requirements. As a food business owner you need to be aware of two types of legislation:
for-job-seekers-icon-Federal Legislation

Federal Legislation

The federal legislation is governed by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ).Food Standard 3.2.2A sets the requirements for all food workers to have completed mandatory Food Safety Supervisor or Food Handler training.
for-job-seekers-icon-State Legislation

State Legislation

Each state has its own Food Safety Act that needs to be adhered to.This legislation often has additional requirements to those set out in Food Standard 3.2.2A. You must adhere to both state and federal legislation.

Train your staff properly

The Australian Institute of Food Safety offers two nationally recognised courses designed to meet all state and federal requirements for food safety training:
for-job-seekers-icon-Food Handler Course

Food Handler Course

This nationally recognised course meets all Food Handler training requirements as specified in Food Standard 3.2.2A.It's important that your employees are fully trained in all aspects of working with food safely including safe handling of food, preventing food contamination, cleaning and sanitising, and personal hygiene.Learn more about this course.
for-job-seekers-icon-Food Safety Supervisor Course

Food Safety Supervisor Course

This nationally recognised course meets all Food Safety Supervisor training requirements as specified in Food Standard 3.2.2A.Every Australian business that serves food needs at least one nationally recognised Food Safety Supervisor on staff, responsible for the overall implementation and management of food safety.Learn more about this course.

How to ensure your business complies

for-job-seekers-icon-Train your staff

Train your staff

Ensure all employees have completed mandatory Food Safety Supervisor or Food Handler training. You may also need to nominate your Food Safety Supervisor(s) to your local or state authority.
for-job-seekers-icon-Build a Food Safety Plan

Build a Food Safety Plan

Your food business needs a Food Safety Program based on HACCP principles. The AIFS HACCP Food Safety Plan Kit gives you the tools and instructions you need to build a compliant Food Safety Program.
for-job-seekers-icon-Apply for your food business licence

Apply for your food business licence

Once your staff are trained and your Food Safety Plan is in place, you can start the application process for your food business licence. Be sure to check with your local council for any additional requirements.
for-job-seekers-icon-Display your food safety signage

Display your food safety signage

When you complete your training with AIFS, you get a Food Safety Decal and a Food Safety Display Certificate, recognised by customers nation-wide as testimony that you're serious about food safety.
for-job-seekers-icon-Prepare for a food safety inspection

Prepare for a food safety inspection

Keep your Food Safety Plan up-to-date and ensure your AIFS Food Safety Cards are in a convenient location. A Health Inspector can inspect your food business at any time without warning.
for-job-seekers-icon-Stay up to date

Stay up to date

Everyone who registers in a nationally recognised AIFS course receives 12 months of free AIFS Membership, giving them access to food safety resources, recalls, food safety news and more.