Food safety training in retail businesses - find out who requires it, how to comply and what it means to be a properly trained Food Safety Supervisor and Food Handler.

Food safety training for retail

Whether you run a market stall or supermarket, you and your employees need the right training to meet food safety laws.A retail business is any business where food is sold to customers (usually to be consumed elsewhere), including:
  • supermarkets
  • grocers, butchers, bakers and delis
  • convenience stores
  • service stations
  • food takeaways
  • market stalls
  • caterers
Food safety training for retail

How to comply with food safety laws

for-job-seekers-icon-Train your Food Safety Supervisor

Train your Food Safety Supervisor

All Australian businesses that serve food must have at least one properly trained Food Safety Supervisor.
for-job-seekers-icon-Apply for your business licence

Apply for your business licence

See your local council to apply for your business licence to start your food retail business.
for-job-seekers-icon-Train your Food Handlers

Train your Food Handlers

Not just kitchen staff, but any employee who serves, moves, delivers or cleans food or food equipment.
for-job-seekers-icon-Be food audit ready

Be food audit ready

Keep your proof of nationally recognised food safety training nearby for food safety inspections.

Training requirements for food retail businesses

Food Safety Supervisor RequirementsAs per Food Standard 3.2.2A, it's a mandatory requirement that food retail businesses have at least one Food Safety Supervisor on their staff at all times.This means at least one person must have:
  • undergone nationally recognised training
  • obtained the required units of competency to be recognised as a Food Safety Supervisor
  • obtained their certificate within the last 5 years
Additional NSW requirementsIf you are in NSW:
  • training must be delivered by a NSW Food Authority approved provider - such as AIFS
  • you will receive your regular Statement of Attainment when you complete your Food Safety Supervisor training with AIFS
  • you will also receive a certificate issued by the NSW Food Authority
If you're applying for a new food business licence, you'll be asked for the certificate number from this document.Click here to learn more about this course.
Food Handler RequirementsFederal legislation (governed by FSANZ) states that all Food Handlers must be trained in food safety.Many people are surprised to learn that Food Handlers aren't just those employees who work in the kitchen.A Food Handler can also be someone who:
  • serves food to customers
  • moves food into storage
  • delivers food
  • cleans equipment and utensils
Simply put, anyone that comes into contact with food or food equipment in a food business is a 'Food Handler'.All Food Handlers require the necessary food safety training to perform this role.The Food Handler course offered by AIFS is fully compliant with all Food Handler training requirements as per Food Standard 3.2.2A.Click here to learn more about this course.

Units of Competency

When you complete nationally recognised training, you are awarded a Statement of Attainment. This lists the units of competency that you have obtained.When a Health Inspector visits your premises, they may ask to see that your Statement of Attainment has the correct units of competency.Food Safety Supervisor courseAfter successfully completing the Food Safety Supervisor course for the retail sector, you will be awarded the following unit:
  • SIRRFSA001 Handle food safely in a retail environment
Food Handler courseThere is no unit of competency specific to Retail for Food Handler training. After successfully completing the Food Handler course you will be awarded the following unit:
  • SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety




Handle food safely in a retail environment




Apply retail food safety practices


Apply retail food safety practices

Important InformationAll current units replace any expired units of competency.The units of competency awarded by AIFS are always current, however some out-of-date websites may still refer to expired units.