Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your questions with the Australian Institute of Food Safety's Frequently Asked Questions section.

Should I do a Food Safety Supervisor or a Food Handler course?

This depends on what you want to get out of your training.

If you want to learn how to prepare, handle and serve food safely, but not how to supervise a business in food safety, then you would choose a Food Handler course.

However if you wish to be employed as a business’s Food Safety Supervisor, you will need to complete a nationally recognised course which teaches you not just the safest ways to handle and prepare food, but also how to properly monitor and maintain safe food practices in a food business.

Even though a Food Safety Supervisor course is more extensive than a Food Handler course, because having a Food Safety Supervisor is usually required in order for a food business to be granted a food business licence, it’s often worth still completing the full Food Safety Supervisor course.