Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your questions with the Australian Institute of Food Safety's Frequently Asked Questions section.

How can I find out if my food business needs a Food Safety Supervisor?

As a general rule, most food businesses in Victoria, Queensland, NSW and the ACT will require at least one designated Food Safety Supervisor per location.

Before opening, a food business needs to notify their local council’s health unit of their intended food handling activities. The local council will then judge the food safety requirements of the food business to determine what its food safety requirements are.

When making this decision, councils take many different things into account – including the types of high-risk food being produced by the business, its location and the chance of any food poisoning occurring.

But, it’s important to keep in mind that while some businesses can simply call their local council for this information, you might have to first fill in a food business application to find out.

Local councils can also tell the food business which food sector or industry it falls under so that the right Food Safety Supervisor training can be completed.

To find out exactly what your business’s food safety requirements are, you can contact your local council or state food authority.