Unit of Competency Update for Food Safety Courses

Unit of Competency Update for Food Safety Courses
November 5, 2013

At AIFS, we’ve recently updated the Unit of Competency codes for some of our food safety courses.

What is a Unit of Competency?

When you complete nationally recognised, or accredited, training in Australia you receive a document called a Statement of Attainment which lists the Units of Competency that you have been deemed competent in.

Units of Competency are created by Industry Skills Councils as part of training packages and guide training organisations such as ours on what material needs to be covered in courses that are delivered.

Training packages, and Units of Competency, are reviewed and updated at least once every five years.

What are the Units of Competency for Food Safety?

There are legal requirements enforced by State government authorities, such as NSW Food Authority or Queensland Health, that specify which Units of Competency are required to become a Food Safety Supervisor.

In New South Wales, Retail and Hospitality units are recognised.

For Hospitality these units are:

  • SITXFSA101 Use Hygiene Practices for Food Safety
  • SITXFSA201 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices

And for Retail:

It is the Hospitality units that have changed recently. Previously the Hospitality units offered were:

Other States (QLD, ACT, VIC) also recognise units for other industries (as well as Retail and Hospitality).

Transport & Distribution:

  • SITXFSA101 Use Hygiene Practices for Food Safety
  • SITXFSA201 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices

Food Processing:

  • FDFFS1001A Follow work procedures to maintain food safety
  • FDFFS2001A Implement the food safety program and procedures

Health & Community:

  • HLTFS207C Follow basic food safety practice
  • HLTFS309C Oversee the day-to-day implementation of food safety in the workplace
  • HLTFS310C Apply and monitor food safety requirements

What courses have changed?

Our Food Safety Supervisor course for Retail has changed.

Also, we have adjusted our Food Handler’s Certificate and Advanced Food Safety courses as these are based on the Retail units of competency.

The course content hasn’t changed, but the codes that you will see on your Statement of Attainment have.

What should I do if I have a Statement of Attainment with the old codes?

Nothing. You don’t need to worry.

The old Unit of Competency codes are valid as long as your Statement of Attainment is dated on or before 18 January 2014. All Statements of Attainment issued after this date should have the new codes listed.

Who should I contact if I have questions?

At AIFS we are always happy to help you find the right course for you – so feel free to call us on 1300 797 020 if we can help to answer your questions.

For questions relating to your specific location, contact:

NSW Health Authority – 1300 552 406

QLD Health - 13 43 25 84

ACT Health – 13 22 81

VIC Department of Health – 1300 364 352

Other States (SA, TAS, NT, WA) have limited or no nationally accredited training requirements.