Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your questions with the Australian Institute of Food Safety's Frequently Asked Questions section.

Which food industry do I work in?

Knowing which industry your food business falls under, and subsequently which training course you need to complete, can be hard. The reason you have to choose an industry is that the statement of attainment you’re awarded for Food Safety Supervisor training is industry specific.

Food businesses have different training requirements because they’re all so different. Each business is categorised into an industry, also known as a food sector, depending on what type of business it is, what type of food it handles and where it’s located. The different industries have different training requirements, and if you want to work as the Food Safety Supervisor, you have to complete the units of competency suitable for your industry.

You will need to choose your food sector when you enrol in a Food Safety Supervisor course. The industries you can choose from are:

  • Hospitality
  • Retail
  • Health & community
  • Food processing
  • Transport & distribution

Please note: If you’re in NSW, only the retail and hospitality industries are recognised by the NSW Food Authority.

If you are participating in the Advanced Food Safety course or the Food Handler course, you don’t need to select your industry.

To learn more about each industry, and the associated units of competency, you can visit this article.