Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your questions with the Australian Institute of Food Safety's Frequently Asked Questions section.

Which food businesses need a Food Safety Supervisor?

Whether a business needs to employ a Food Safety Supervisor will depend on where the business operates as well as what types of food it prepares.

Food businesses in Queensland, New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory and Victoria are typically required to nominate at least one Food Safety Supervisor.

If your food business is located in one of the other states or territories in Australia, you still have an obligation to make sure that all Food Handlers in your business are appropriately trained in food safety. This is why, even though it’s not a legal requirement, we still recommend that your business has a Food Safety Supervisor.

You can contact your local council for more information about whether your business needs a Food Safety Supervisor. Because it will most likely be responsible for the day-to-day food safety regulation of your business, it’s your local council that’ll decide on the specific requirements for your business.