Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your questions with the Australian Institute of Food Safety's Frequently Asked Questions section.

Does my home based food business need a Food Safety Supervisor?

Whether you need a Food Safety Supervisor in your home-based food business will depend on where your business is located and what types of food you’re preparing and selling.

If you need to register or licence your home-based food business with your council, then they will be able to tell you if you’re required to nominate a Food Safety Supervisor.

Even if you’re preparing food from home, you’ll still have to show your local food authority that your premises meet all of its regulations for food handling. This could mean holding a certain licence, employing a Food Safety Supervisor and/or building a food safety program. This is the same for sole traders.

Many licensable food businesses in Australia must have a Food Safety Supervisor if they serve:

  • Ready-to-eat food,
  • Potentially hazardous food, or
  • Food not sold and served in its package.

The general rule is that if you are in a state or territory with this legislation, and your food business requires a licence, it requires a Food Safety Supervisor.

Appointing a Food Safety Supervisor is mandatory in:

  • New South Wales
  • Queensland
  • Victoria
  • Australian Capital Territory

If your food business is registered in one of the above states, you will most likely be legally required to notify your local government with the details of your nominated Food Safety Supervisor.

A Food Safety Supervisor is highly recommended, but not mandatory, in:

  • Western Australia
  • Tasmania
  • South Australia
  • Northern Territory

For more information on the food safety requirements for your state or territory, you can visit our dedicated pages.

  • Food Safety Regulations in Queensland
  • Food Safety Regulations in New South Wales
  • Food Safety Regulations in Victoria
  • Food Safety Regulations in the ACT