Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your questions with the Australian Institute of Food Safety's Frequently Asked Questions section.

Does my business need a Food Safety Supervisor?

This will depend on where your business is located and what type of food it serves.

Certain Australian states and territories require all registered food businesses to nominate a qualified Food Safety Supervisor. This person will normally need to have done a Food Safety Supervisor course to show that they can lead and manage a business’s Food Safety Program.

Usually, licensable food businesses must have a Food Safety Supervisor if they serve:

  • Ready-to-eat food,
  • Potentially hazardous food, or
  • Food not sold and served in its original package.

As a general rule, if you’re in a state or territory with this legislation, and your food business needs a licence, it will need a Food Safety Supervisor.

Guidelines for your State or Territory

To make it a little easier, here’s a brief guide outlining which states and territories legally require most food businesses to nominate a Food Safety Supervisor, and which do not.

Appointing a Food Safety Supervisor is mandatory in:

  • New South Wales
  • Queensland
  • Victoria
  • Australian Capital Territory

If your food business is registered in one of the above states, you may also be legally required to notify your local government with the details of your nominated Food Safety Supervisor.

A Food Safety Supervisor is highly recommended, but not mandatory, in:

  • Western Australia
  • Tasmania
  • South Australia
  • Northern Territory

Even though these locations don’t need a Food Safety Supervisor by law, training an employee as a Food Safety Supervisor is one of the best investments you can make for the future of your food business. Having someone who can design and oversee a Food Safety Program that protects your customers, improves efficiency, and reduces waste can be a huge advantage for any food business looking to deliver a premium product or service.

Who to contact for more information

Your local council can provide more guidance on the licensing and Food Safety Supervisor requirements for your state.

Once you’re certain that your state or territory requires you to employ a Food Safety Supervisor, you’ll then need to find out which units of competency you'll need to complete.